Turtle; New Orleans, LA

A few nice types of animals images I found:


Turtle; New Orleans, LA
types of animals
Image by j klo
I know I wouldn't want to get my fingers caught in that jaw. I believe this is a type of snapping turtle.


Outtake for Day 89
types of animals
Image by LifeSupercharger
Today, I was lucky enough to observe a pair of these large, interesting birds at a nearby lake. I hadn't seen these types of birds in my many previous trips to this particular lake, so I did an internet and Wikipedia search upon my return home. They appear to be American White Pelicans and can have wingspans of 8-10 feet (2.4-3.0 meters). The "horn" on the bill develops during breeding season. That would explain their territorial behavior, as they were chasing away ducks and birds in a very aggressive manner. According to Wikipedia, they breed in large colonies, so perhaps they dropped in for a visit before heading off to breeding grounds.

Share this article :